Telerik licensing problem

Coordinator
Aug 18, 2011 at 4:09 PM
Edited Aug 18, 2011 at 4:12 PM

I am actualy in contact with Telerik concerning the usage of their assemblies in Addon Nice Server .

It appears that they refuse to let codeplex users benefit from any assembly, even a demo version.

Expecting that the discusions we have will find a solution, I must stop the download of any assembly of Telerik.

I will only let the reference to Telerik.Web.UI in the projects files, and you will need to provide the assembly.
For those already owning a licensed version of Telerik.web.UI.dll, just copy it in the bin folders in order to build the project.

For the others, you must download from the demo version which could be obtained from Telerik site here https://www.telerik.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2faccount%2fyour-products%2ftrial-product-versions%2ftrial-single-download.aspx%3fpmvid%3d0%26pid%3d561

It is a 60 days demo version, to go futher you will need to buy a Telerik license.

If discussions with Telerik find no easier solution, we will start a task to replace Telerik by Open Source components.

I apology for this.

Best regards

CS

Coordinator
Sep 22, 2011 at 1:20 PM
Edited Sep 24, 2011 at 10:27 AM

The problem is finally solved.

Addon Nice will run with a dedicated version of Telerik assembly: Telerik.Web.UI.dll created with a licensed version of Telerik and with usage limited in its code to Addon Nice Server.
Only this assembly is distributed with the source code, the Telerik design assembly (Telerik.Web.UI.Design.dll) is *NOT* redistributed.
Without a personnal Telerik License, you have no rights to use the editing features provided by this Design assembly (not provided) *BUT YOU MAY EDIT ANY .ascx, .master or !.aspx file with a text editor or the Visual Studio editor.*

Further more if you get deeper in Addon Nice usage and want to create new modules, you have no rights to use Telerik RadControls in the associated acsx.
You will need a license to do it.
This is not an annoying problem for the vast majority of controls, the Core Addon Nice assembly supporting any king of controls.

I incitate any user who wants to work on Addon Nice to buy a license from *Telerik site* [url:http://www.telerik.com], you will get a lot of support and updates.
If you do so you will have to substitute Telerik assembly in each project file with your version.

Best regards

CS